Aims and objectives:
• To motivate and inspire cooks to improve their culinary skills
• To provide cooks with a basic understanding of the specific nutritional needs in the early years
• To incorporate nutritional and culinary training into every day working practice
This training course combines theory and practical cookery. It provides cooks with the skills to produce healthy, nutritious foods that young children will eat.
There is a distinct lack of specific training for cooks working in the Early Years Childcare Sector.
Good nutrition in the under 5s is essential for growth and development and also for establishing healthy taste and food preferences for a lifetime.
• Training will combine theoretical nutrition in the early years with practical cooking and eating master classes.
• All ingredients for practical elements of the training will be provided by Grub4life.
Theory training includes:
•Nutrition considerations for the Early Years- key nutrients e.g Iron, Calcium, Zinc
• Variety really is the spice of life- how a varied diet ensures nutritional adequacy and maintains children’s interest in food.
Practical cooking and eating session:
• A selection of Grub4life recipes reflecting the theory sessions using iron, calcium and zinc rich ingredients. Recipes will also demonstrate use of different protein sources and varied fruits and vegetables.
• Chicken Piri Piri
• Middle Eastern Lamb with vegetables and spiced cous cous
• Chicken Kofters with tomato and vegetable rice
• Creole Vegetarian Jambalya with pitta
• Banana bread, Raisin Jacks, Apricot Squares, Oat and Sultana Cookies
This is a basic outline of the training module but of course sessions can be tailored to an individual child care setting needs.
Certificate awarded upon successful completion of course.
For further information and to discuss your requirements contact Nigel Denby RD at