Early Years Cook's Training
Grub4life offer a range of specialist cookery master classes and ...
Fisherman’s Hot Pot
uploaded this recipe to Grub4Life
This recipe hasn't received more than 3 ratings yet...
|You already rated this recipe.
Ingredients: serves a family of 4:
450g (1lb) cod fillet, skinless or haddock, hake or plaice
700g (1½lb) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
225g (8oz) mushrooms, washed and sliced- you may exchange for sliced leeks or courgettes if preferred.
225g (8oz) frozen peas
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tsp tomato puree
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp sugar
100g (4oz) cheddar cheese
1. Pre heat the oven to 200c, 400F, gas mark 6
2. Cut the fish into 2cm cubes and toss in the flour- check and remove any remaining bones.
3. Place the oil in a large saucepan and heat, add the garlic and cook until soft. Now add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, vinegar, sugar and dried basil. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile blanch the thinly sliced potatoes for 5-6 minutes, drain.
5. Arrange one half of the potato slices on the bottom of a greased ovenproof casserole, cover the potato layer with half of the fish and sprinkle with lemon juice.
6. Combine the onion, mushrooms( or alternative) and peas and use half to cover the fish.
7. Use the remaining fish to make another layer and sprinkle with lemon juice. Use the remaining onion, mushroom and peas and finally make another layer with the remaining potatoes.
8. Pour the tomato sauce over the ingredients and top with the grated cheese.
9. Place in the hot oven for 40-50 minutes.
10. Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.
• For Milk free diets use soya cheese
• For vegetarian diets omit fish and use courgettes instead.