Crispy Vegetable Bake
uploaded this recipe to Grub4Life
This recipe hasn't received more than 3 ratings yet...
|You already rated this recipe.
Ingredients: serves a family of 4:
400g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
400g (1lb) parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
200g (8oz) grated cheddar cheese
100g (4oz) unsalted butter
4 leeks, washed and sliced
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
60g (2½oz) plain flour
2 pts milk
200g (4oz) cheddar cheese
2 tbsp chopped parsley
400g (1lb) green beans, cooked and chopped
400g (1lb) frozen peas
1. Preheat the oven to 180c, 350F, gas mark 4
2. Parboil the potatoes and parsnips, then grate and mix with 200g grated cheese.
3. In a large saucepan, melt half the butter and fry the leeks and carrots until they soften. Reserve until later.
4. Melt the remaining butter in the pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring until the sauce thickens.
5. Stir in the cheese and add the parsley, leeks, carrots, beans and peas.
6. Pour the vegetables into an oven proof dish and sprinkle the potato and parsnip mixture over the top.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
8. Serve immediately.
• For wheat free diets, omit flour and use rice flour.
• For milk free diets, use soya milk, pura non dairy spread and soya cheese.